Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers




I'm not a rabid Rolling Stones fan, let's just get that out of the way, but Sticky Fingers has always struck me as the rootsiest of the Stones albums and by rootsiest, I mean bluesiest because roots music was borne of the blues. Was it Townes Van Zandt who said "There's only two kinds of music: Blues and zippity-doo-da"? "Wild Horses" might be just about the best damn song ever written and even though it's been performed to absolute death, It still brings me to my knees. "Bring Me Dead Flowers" is my next best on this one, ditto on the performing, everyone's done it but it continues to wear well. I own the original "zipper" version of this album. Don't quite remember where I found it but it is a hell of a cover (conceived by Andy Warhol). I also own the Spanish Edition with the sticky fingers emerging from a can of treacle. Nice. You can get the zipper cover on E-Bay for about twenty bucks but good luck finding the Spanish Edition.

No comments: