Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mark Knopfler- Local Hero (1983)


I have a wee soft spot for Celtic music but, like the blues, I can only do real celtic for about a half  an hour before developing a celtic headache. I call this soundtrack "Celtic Light". It's nothing like the Pogues or the Dropkick Murphys, rather it has a dreamy sweet quality to it with just a dollop of celtic in the background. Knopfler's guitar playing is stellar as usual but he practices tasteful restraint on the soundtrack. I love to lose myself in it.  Sometimes I imagine myself driving along the Irish coastline in a sportscar but then a car comes out of nowhere and smashes into me because I'm driving on the wrong side of the road and I fall over the cliff and into the ocean crashing below. Then I get up to turn the record over.

No comments: