Sunday, November 23, 2008


This album, The first CSN record, released on Atlantic in 1969 was  an instant hit and stayed that way for much of the 70's. This album catapulted my interest in singer songwriter type bands even though I didn't get to it till the 90's. From there I went on to the Band and then Neil Young and Gram Parsons. Although this album isn't hard to find on vinyl, I scored an original gatefold sleeve version with the boys in parkas on the inside at Streetlight in San Francisco. I'm a sucker for "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" (written for Judy Collins) and "Marrakesh Express". It inspired thousands of anti-establishment hippies to flee the USA for Morocco in the 70's. Wish I'd been around for that. "Long Time Gone" was a response to the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy. No one writes songs like that anymore.
You'll notice that the album cover has the names listed out of order. The reason is that the photo was taken before the band was named and when they went back to the same house to re-shoot, it had been torn down. I love the cover, the old sofa and just a hint of a palm in the corner to suggest California and those guys in their boots and jeans looking young and SO cool.
 

No comments: